Sunday, March 14, 2010

Paralympics

Some friends and I went to see a Paralympic Sledge Hockey game yesterday.  Korean vs. USA.  Couldn't get any tickets to any Team Canada games - I think they were the first to sell out for obvious reasons.  Team Canada did win earlier in the day, beating Italy 4-0.   It was a lot of fun to watch the athletes and experience the spirit of the games.  Here are some pictures I took.  Sadly, it didn't occur to me until I was in the arena to bring Beeker along....maybe next time.



Me, Joyce and Sumi the Thunderbird (the Paralympic Mascot) in front of Thunderbird Arena at U.B.C.. 

Joyce was so happy that we had the good luck of 'running into' Sumi just before our event started and getting our picture taken with him.  I rather carelessly replied that there was probably more than one Sumi because of all the different events/locations.  When I saw the look on Joyce's face, I felt really, really bad for bursting my friend's Paralympic Mascot bubble.  Sorry Joyce...my bad.








 
 Me, Joyce and Elsie waiting for the game to start, watching the warm-up and being goofy.  I have a silly tradition when I go to hockey games....I always cheer the Zamboni.  The ice cleaning makes me very happy.  I have a dream of driving/riding a Zamboni during game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoff game.  May have been more exciting if we were watching Team Canada but it was good fun yelling and cheering and ringing the cowbell.








Team U.S.A. and Team Korea during the pre-game warm-ups.  Team U.S.A. are in blue and Team Korea are in white so I guess (and I'm a little confused because they changed this rule a few years back in the NHL but it may be different for international hockey) Team Korea is the 'home' team.  There was a large group of Team Korea supporters in the bleachers, all sitting together with those plastic clapper things and very organized.  Team U.S.A. had a huge contingent as well and I believe there were quite a few family members sitting behind us.


The final score was 5-0 for Team U.S.A. and it was a very exciting and physically brutal game to watch. 






Both teams had a lot of spirit and were very gracious:   thanking the fans around the arena, shaking hands at the end and even giving hi-5s to the officials....which I have never seen before!  You can kind of see the ref and linesmen in the left top corner of this picture on their knees.  I guess this must be a ritual in sledge hockey.  And, last but not least.....







 The Zamboni!!!!










Be back later with a crafting related post.  Gotta go take down my nerd-flag.

Thanks for stopping by.
Sonya

No comments:

Post a Comment