Friday, April 2, 2010

Practice, practice, practic....colouring

Don't know if I posted this already but I noticed that some of my older unmounted cling film stamps were slowly melting onto their acrylic storage sheets.  I was very distressed by this, honestly.  This of course led me to re-vamp my storage system.  Long story short:  Two craft cubes from Michaels, 100+ empty cd cases and my stash of EZ mount have been called into action.  Its kind of an interesting process as I actually get to lay hands on some stamps that I haven't used in a while....gasp!  I'm quite proud to say that I still love all the stamps I have except for one that puzzles me completely but now I don't want to get rid of it because to do so would be, in an odd way, to admit defeat.  Once the process is completely over and done with I will post a picture. 

So, in the midst of all this organizing, I filled my new color cubbies with markers, etc. and started practicing my watercolor technique with dye based markers and a waterbrush.  Here are some pictures I took.  I started out with peel off stickers but then progressed to embossing images in black EP on watercolor paper.  I like how it looks.



 The flower on the left is a peel-off sticker and marker water colouring but with Sakura gel pens and a water brush.  The flowers on the right are black embossed and coloured with Memento markers and a water brush.  I've been on the hunt for some really nice watercolour paper and I think I found it.  Sadly it only comes on ginormous rolls but was actually quite inexpensive...a few dollars for a table size sheet.  I found it at a local art supply store a few blocks from my office. 




The other side of the top image.  Again the image on the left was a peel off and the image on the right is a stamped and embossed image.  When I was getting into the groove of practicing, I started to think, "I'm going to run out of peel offs!"  But then my inside voice told me, "stupid, you have, like, a bunch of stamps.  Just stamp and emboss, idiot!"  Really my inside voice is usually quite supportive but this time she was directive...no comments from the peanut gallery! =P

I love colouring but sometimes I pick really odd colour combinations that are just....off.  So part of my practice is to work on my realistic colour combos...that's why I've made swatches next to the image so I know what works and what doesn't.

Well, I was going to post my PTI order but I think I'll wait on doing this since I seem to have run on about water colouring.  Hey, look, no glitter!

I'll be back later on this weekend with some PTI goodness...


Stamp on my friends, stamp on...
Sonya

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sonya, thanks for visiting my blog. I'm glad you're enjoying it and hope you'll start quilling again. Your blog is a wealth of stamping goodness! I'm positive I'll be back; besides, I want to see what you do with that one stamp that's giving you trouble. :-)

    ReplyDelete