Friday, May 14, 2010

Pretty....Ugly

WARNING:  If you are even slightly prone to queasiness, after reading about my random paper crafts (pretty) for goodness sake STOP!  Do not venture further to the ugly.  Consider yourself warned.  I will now continue with my regularly scheduled blog post.


How has everybody been?  I've been busy.  First I'd like to share something I've been working on for a while.  It took some time to construct but I'm quite happy with the results.  But, of course, a little back story.  There are some blogs I like to visit for inspiration or when my mojo is lacking.  Three that I visit often are:   All Things Paper  Dude Craft and Folding Trees 

So here's my version of the Kusudama Ball.  The full tutorial is on the Folding Trees website.  It is supposed to be constructed of 3" x 3" squares of paper.  Well, I only had 6" x 6" squares of origami paper.  Now that I've done the big daddy version I may try the smaller version just for kicks.  Some people scale mountains because the mountains are there.  I make things out of paper because I have the paper.  Oh well. 





Here's another shot of the same ball.  Originally I thought I'll make this paper thing as a  sort of commemorative of the new craft room.  Unfortunately because it is gigantor size I can't hang it from the light fixture in the middle of my room.  I had to hang onto the ball while I took the picture but I am still searching for a permanent home for this creation.  Right now its hanging from my Ott light but I'm afraid the bendy arm isn't going to last for very long.  At least its pretty.



Okay you were warned at the beginning.  I'm now segueing into the ugly.  But first a little back story:

So as some of you may know I started bicycle commuting to work.  I'm up to a solid 4 days a week (weather permitting) totaling about 80km a week.  Everything has been going along hunky dory:  getting into better shape, losing weight, getting more comfortable on two wheels, and making the trip in slightly quicker times every day.  Well, the inevitable happened:  I had my first kinda bad accident on my bike.  Let's just say I got up close and personal with what appeared to be a deceptively frail looking tree.  Of course, I couldn't help myself.  I have to post a picture of the bruise on my right thigh - which took the brunt of the damage and impact - I kinda graze my  cheek and right shoulder but the thigh looks the worst.  So without further adieu:  The Bruise.

Sadly my camera doesn't quite pick up the subtle shades of blue, yellow and purple or the depth or dimension but its still kinda awesome.   I'm kinda confused about the bright red line going down the center  - its not really a cut but its not a scab either.  I put polysporin on it just in case.  When I wear my bike pants, my right thigh is soooo swollen it kinda looks like I have steroid thigh...kinda like Arnold.  There are other pictures that are more graphic but I will spare you since I'm wearing a rather incriminating San Jose Sharks t-shirt and my husband didn't have the good taste not to include it in the picture.  Sheesh, boys.

Anyways, wow, this was a long post.  Um, where was I?!?  Oh yeah, that's what I've been up to plus a whole lot of uninteresting work stuff.  Hope everyone has an excellent weekend.   I'm thinking I'm going to revisit paper quilling in the near future.  If I come up with something interesting, I'll be sure to post it.  I'll try and resist the impulse to update my bruise pictures....but I can't make any promises (insert evil laugh).  Oh yeah, one last thing, if there are any cool blogs/websites that you like to visit let me know in the comments sections.

Okay, love you, bye-bye....

13 comments:

  1. What a pretty paper project, Sonya! But that bruise! You poor thing--here you are, doing the environmentally responsible thing and *biking* to work, and how are you rewarded? You're attacked by a tree! It's not right! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that's a beauty!! Does it hurt much (snigger)!! I had one quite similar from a skiing accident a couple of years back. I LOVED showing it off but it was bloomin sore. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the kusudama ball. Hey, I say just hang it from the light fixture, gigantor or not! And wow, that is an ugly bruise. I hope you recover soon (looks painful) and that the tree looks much worse than your thigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor you! I missed you at SOBC today; I hope it wasn't your ouchies that kept you home. I managed to get there and back on my bike without hurting myself, but I did take a tumble one day on the way home from GI. I think I've learned (after 2), that speed truly does kill. I hope your Mom's OK too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ouch! that looks painful! The bruise, that is.
    The paper ball thingy is very pretty though. How cool that you made a ball to hang up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG What a bruise! Did the tree survive? :D

    I love the Kusudama ball - that is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, Sonya...your bruise looks like my right eye - I too had an encounter with a tree and used my face to break my fall! Thank goodness for the magic of eye concealer...

    love the paper ball - you're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Kusudama ball is so pretty - love the colors.

    Now on to that bruise. It's a shame that your reward for all that hard work is a nasty run in with a tree. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Pal! Man...that bruise just makes you wince when you see it...because you can just "see" the pain. Hope it feels better soon!

    GREAT papers in the kusudama ball! Talk soon! Take care of the leg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your ball creation is beautiful! Your bruise creation is another story...or I could say it is a beautiful bruise by bruise standards! I hope you heel quickly and don't have too much pain. Good for you on the cycling to work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ouch! hope you are feeling now?
    I love the kusudama ball.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouch!!! I hit the corner of a gate entering a bike path a couple of years ago. I can definitely relate to that bruise. I hope yours heals quickly. And the ball creation is beautiful. I love the papers you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love papercrafting for decor - - that hanging ball with those flowers that remind me of pinwheels is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete