Sunday, March 10, 2013

FFC03 - Element/Snowflake Challenge





Hey Homies!  'sup?  Lots been going on around here but I finally had a chance to sit down and participate in the latest Festive Friday Challenge - snowflakes.  I started by making the background panel using one of my favoritest stamping techniques ever - emboss resist.  Snowflakes were stamped in Versa Mark on PTI rustic creme card stock and heat embossed with clear embossing powder.  Then I used Distress Ink direct-to-paper with a sponge applicator over the whole shebang.  I sprayed with water and wiped any excess ink off the embossed areas.  Then, my favorite part:  ironing.  I put the cardstock between two pieces of scrap paper and ironed until the embossing powder melted again and absorbed into the scrap paper, leaving a completely flat background.  The sentiment is from PTI Snowflake Serenade and the glitter snowflake is die cut Sook Wang tape using Spellbinders 2010 Snowflake.  I used three different shades of blue from Glitter Ritz.  Hope you like it:



And, because when I die cut, I always cut two.  I had the opportunity to take a version of the die cut snowflake and try a more CAS, one layer, modern look.  Black cardstock, Cranberry Glitter Ritz glitter, PTI Snowflake Serenade for the sentiment, unknown bling and Leaf Zing EP.  Oh yeah, I also coloured the bling with a yellow green copic marker. 



I think I like this layout a lot and may try and make it again, maybe better.

Two things I learned from participating in this challenge.

1)  Get a stamp press.  Stamping a single image over and over again gets old pretty quickly.  Any suggestions on what kind I should get?
2)  Wait and take pictures in the morning if you're using natural light.  Thank you Daylight Savings Time for the extra hour this afternoon.

Anyways, I'm very proud of myself lately:  got on the bike and went for my first full ride of 2013, I can do a lot of things without the convenience of a car (long story), and you can see the floor of my craft room.  The last thing is the one I'm most proud of....can you tell?  Well, until next time.

Peace.


4 comments:

  1. Always enjoy your FF posts, Sonya...glad you're back! Awesome bold design on your second card, but I'm REALLY lovin' that first one! The distress inks just look so pretty as a background for your snowflakes! And the large glittered one??? Quite a statement...so pretty and so creative!! And SO glad you've joined us again at FF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so what you're telling me is that when my embossing powder disappears, it's because I went a little too crazy with the heat gun? I had no idea that was even possible, but that is a REALLY cool way to do the resist thing. The first one is my fave, but I love them both,

    Josie saw the second one and said, "me yike dat won!"

    So now you know.

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards and congratulations on the shout out!! I highly recommend the Fiskars stamp press - the medium sized one is awesome and great for really solid images and for lining things up - gridlines ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cards! Congrats on your shout out!

    ReplyDelete