Monday, August 25, 2014

Stamp-a-Faire Goodness

So much fun to finally get together with my forum pals for some actual stamping!  We spent a lovely day stamping, snacking and chatting.  Thanks so much to Meredith and Shirley for hosting.

I participated in my first timer challenge and completed the card in under eight minutes.

The guidelines were posted on Nichole Heady's website:  20 minutes, pick a layout and a color combo and start.  Meredith and Cara had to talk me through it as I had never participated in a timer challenge before.  I picked the color combo and layout and got my stamping "mis en place" all ready before I started the clock.  Who knew my phone had a stop watch and why would I have ever used my stop watch....for if?  Thanks, Cara for taking a picture of me, my 'stopwatch' and the finished product.  Here's a close up of the final product.

The following card is a combination of two challenges:  roman mosaic and filigree frame.  Full disclosure:  even though we watched the video for the roman mosaics two or three times, I wasn't really paying attention and ended up doing my own thing with the first mosaic.  I cut a stencil using a cover plate and card stock.  I then spread a thin layer of white embossing paste over the stencil, and put it aside to dry.  It could have been the drying time delay and shifting my focus onto something else that led to my brain fart.  Anyways, when the past dried, I was at a complete loss as to what to do so..... I sponged three different shades of PTI pink over the embossed panel, affixed my filigree frame and, still feeling my card was a bit dull, I added the hot pink rhinestones to the frame for a little spark and interest.  I kid myself by saying I've channeled my inner Dawn McVey as pink is usually quite absent from my crafting.  You can't see it on the photo but the panel is mounted on a shimmery hot pink card stock, as well.  

The second roman mosaic card started as a background panel of Friendly Flowers in pinks and orange (channeling Dawn once again!).  The panel was then die cut with a PTI cover plate and using the Make-it-Monday tip from this week (using die cut negatives and press-n-seal to transfer die cuts) I applied adhesive to the negative pieces, removed the frame and created this mosaic.  The sentiment is cut from the same shimmery pink card stock I used as a base for the previous card with wet paint dies.  I love the stamp sets and the dies so much.  Can't.Stop. Using. Them. Again, a little bit of bling for some interest and sparkle. 

BTW:  If you haven't seen the Make-it-Monday using the press-n-seal, you HAVE to.  I has made my crafting life sooo much easier. 

My next stamp-a-faire card was for the renaissance challenge:  creating a faux wax seal.  My spin on it was a bit different.  Instead of a round or square image or monogram I chose to emboss a feather image.  I used wet paint stamps for the background panel and PTI ink.  I think I may use this 'sketch' again.

It was a great day and I hope we can make it an annual event.  Fingers crossed - it only took three years for our schedules to match up - LOL.  Anyways, my mojo got a really jump start from Saturday and I'm happy to report that I've been stamping since and plan to do so today.  The fact that I have to stamp a huge cache of cards for my SIL's upcoming birthday present probably has a little bit of something to do with it...but that's another post for another day.  

Thanks for stopping by and stay inky, my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment